Sunday 29 April 2012

Guess what..... I'm a wife!!


Don't panic....... I didn’t get fed up of wedding planning, run away to Las Vegas with my fiancé and elope! Although the thought is tempting (he he). I had a traditional Nigerian Introduction and Engagement ceremony last week Saturday. A minibus filled with my fiances family travelled up the motorway from London to Birmingham to formally ask my mum and family for my hand in marriage! In Nigerian culture that now makes me officially his wife! So there you have it, although under English law we are not married, another culture/country now recognises me as his wife. How exciting! Being from a Jamaican background, I have never experienced anything like this in our culture. As far as I’m aware we don’t have any formal traditions or ceremonies that we follow for engagements or weddings. We have adopted the traditional English way of doing things. There’s nothing wrong with that but it’s nice to be able to do something that reflects my African heritage as well and this was very important for my fiancé and his Yoruba family. We weren't sure how this particular event would work as it’s usually done with two Nigerian families not a mixed culture relationship. But between the Hostess/MC (called an Alaga) and using my fiancés uncle as a translator the proceedings were successfully relayed to my family which made for a lively and entertaining ceremony for all. It wasn't a lavish affair, it was a simple family only ceremony held in a marquee in my Nan's back garden. It was perfect. It was kinda how I would have liked my wedding - really intimate and personal, with my loved ones around me. My family totally enjoyed themselves - the singing, the dancing, the laughter, the food......everything! 

It really has got everyone so excited for the big day next year!! We are still waiting for our ‘proper’ pictures and video but here are a few below:


My fiances family

The hostess showing off her moves

The entrance of the groom
Groom proving his worth to my family hehe and asking permission to marry me

Groom and co

Groom and co showing gratitude to his family

Me getting ready to make my entrance

Me arriving - it is tradition to cover the brides face

The MC and family singing as I enter

Me being nervous

Fiance's mum welcoming me to the family
Me greeting my 'husband' - that sounds so weird!

Both families praying for us


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful photos. You all look like you had a fantastic time.

Your wedding will be amazing if this is anything to go by : )

Corita - Wedding Mama said...

Thanks Natalie. I hope so :-)