Thursday 19 April 2012

Countdown..... 16 months to go

Image source: flickr.com
So we have a date! Whoop whoop. We are planning to do the big day in August 2013, which gives me 16 months to have my babies, get used to being a mum and plan the carnival (ahem *clears throat*).... I mean wedding. Easy! It does seem like a long way away right now but I’ve been told that time has a funny way of biting you in the butt when you get too nonchalant about things. So I haven’t rested on my laurels I’ve done as much as I can at this stage being in my condition, which by the way is basically me turning into a human size penguin that can’t stand, walk or sit for long periods of time without either getting stuck or getting serious pelvic and back pain. Fun times! I’ve written the all important to-do list which consists of no less than 68 things to complete between now and then! Woaaah!

It does seem like an intimidating list, but I’ve broken it down into months so I know what I have to do and by when. I got the idea from a website called Realsimple.com who have got all sorts of useful checklists and info for brides-to-be (check out my links page). So for the next few months my priorities are: researching ideas and suppliers, choosing the bridal party and booking the venues.

Arguably one of the most important factors of the day is the venue.  I’ve scoured the internet, asked people on forums asked friends and work colleagues but this is proving difficult. Finding a venue fo the reception that’s big enough, has enough parking, a bit of a wow factor, allows outside catering and hasn’t been overused by people you know is tough. So far all the places that fit the bill cost big bucks! I’ve looked into an outdoor wedding or marquee wedding which I thought was a good idea but that quickly got shot down by the fiancé. He’s not feeling the whole outdoor thing and with this good old British weather who can blame him! This area needs a bit more work. I have a few options to explore but fear that I’m going to have to fork out for this. We’ve decided that the actual wedding ceremony will take place in the church we attend every week. There’s enough space and the choir is pretty good too. It’s a traditional Nigerian church so lots of singing and dancing to look forward to. It will definitely be a lovely service.

Next on the list is the bridal party. For me this was a no-brainer and was pretty much wrapped up as soon as he popped the question. You could say I’m the complete opposite to my fiancé, he has a ridiculous amount of friends, I have a close-knit group of friends that I’ve known for years. So there was no need for pulling names out of a hat and no one getting offended if they’re not included. Simple! I have 6 beautiful bridesmaids lined up consisting of 5 of my besties and my fiancés little sister. I’ve decided not to go with the traditional flower girls, page boys or mini bride and groom that some people do. Just want to keep it really straightforward plus kids in the bridal party spells trouble. I can just imagine someone throwing a tantrum mid-aisle. That’s my side sorted. My fiancé is refusing to pick his groomsmen, apparently it’s too early! So I’m just getting on with my plans for the girls without him! I’ve appointed my Chief Bee and informed all the ladies who I think are just as excited as me :-)

That’s pretty much it for my to-do list this month. I feel really organised. Gold star for me!

Ooops - forgot one minor detail. I’m having my traditional Nigerian introduction/engagement ceremony this weekend! It’s been a bit of a rush last minute thing to pull together but it’s happening. To say I’m nervous is an understatement! This is my first taste of being in the limelight. The thought of it makes me shiver! Anyway I’ll update you with pics in my next post.


No comments: