Monday 9 April 2012

My Big Fat Nigerian Wedding!

Image source: Google.com

Size doesn’t matter. How many times have we heard that phrase? It applies to so many different situations but for planning and arranging a wedding I have to disagree! The size dictates everything. The size makes a lot of decisions for you and eliminates a mass of options. The size can blow the whole budget! So here in a nutshell lies my dilemma. Or not so much a dilemma, the reality of the situation. I come from a Jamaican family, BUT my Fiancé = Nigerian, therefore, wedding = HUGE! There goes my dream of a medium sized wedding in a beautiful setting, surrounded by my nearest and dearest of maybe around 200 people, a delicious sit-down meal of African-Caribbean cuisine. You know, the type of wedding where there’s lots of attention to detail and the smaller unique things that make the day special. Instead of planning the intimate, personal wedding I dreamed of, I’m planning a wedding for 700-800 guests, majority of which I probably won’t even know (pauses to take a big sigh of exasperation!)

What’s that I hear you say? Yes, I know. That’s not a wedding, it’s a banquet! More like an Oscar’s ceremony than a wedding. If you’re not familiar with the Nigerian culture or weddings then let me school you on the facts that are defining the size of my wedding:


1 - My fiancé is the first grandchild in his family and his mums first born so this is a very proud occasion for his family so its a big cause for celebration.
2 - Nigerian weddings tend to be big anyway and they love to party! This along with the fact that the concept of the invitation doesn’t seem to exist adds to the guest numbers. Even if you weren’t sent an invite people still turn up regardless. It seems to work by word of mouth or something! If you know the family you’re welcome to attend.
3 – It’s not just the couple who has the privilege of inviting guests. The parents also invite their friends which, fair enough, is pretty standard but then Aunties and Uncles get involved too and invite their group of friends!
4 – I can’t speak for all Nigerian families but the size of my fiancés family can rival any Royal family. With a mother that has 6 siblings and a father with a jaw dropping 13, this wedding was never going to be small!

His sister got married last year and had a traditional Nigerian wedding as her husband is also Nigerian so that gives me a good idea of what to expect. She had a venue for 700 guests but much more turned up on the day so we can expect the same PLUS -  the family members who weren’t able to make her wedding are adamant that they have to make ours, NOT TO MENTION the masses of friends my fiancé has. I swear he accumulates friends like a girl does shoes! Bottom line - this is going to be a big one! And the sooner I get over it the better!

My concern is stretching the budget. If you've read my other posts you'll know I am a BOB (bride on a budget). So I really have to be wise with the funds we have to make this day work. Of course we will also be getting contributions from both families but a wedding for 800 is not going to be easy.

There are things that I am prepared to spend on such as the venue, the food and the photographer. Those elements are really important. The food has to be on point! African’s and Caribbean’s do not play around when it comes to food. Trust me! Capturing the memories of the day and those moments that the bride and groom might miss during the whirlwind of the day is also so important. I’d rather spend a bit more on those sorts of things and try and save money on the other smaller factors. I’ve been inspired by a few other wedding bloggers who have the most amazing DIY ideas, so my first BOB mission is to investigate all the elements I can do myself (I mean with the help of my family and friends ;-))

I must say after reading this back it sounds a bit negative about Nigerian weddings, but I have to back down and admit that they are amazing. The singing, the dancing, the colours and the atmosphere created at African weddings is so electric. That’s one thing I can guarantee - Everyone will be up for a party and be ready to celebrate our marriage. I just have to make sure I inject a splash of sunshine and reggae vibes to reflect my Jamaican heritage in the day. Cos you know, we can party too ;-) x

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sooo excited to see all of this unfold! Another fab post!! Xxxx

Nicz said...

Bwoysah, this is going to be a big day! You've got your work cut out for you! Lol. But we'll be there to lend a helping hand!

Yemisi said...

Great blog post, looking forward to reading more from you

Wedding Mama - Corita said...

Thanks for your comment Yemisi :-) Keep checking back for more updates x

joanne said...

Wedding Mama
am so loving yr blog. nuff laughta from brum. dont worry bout de size, everyting will work out right. am sooo looking 4ward to de pictures and de dancing..... nuff luv auntie j xx

Chulala said...

Hey iv been reading ur blog everyday of late and i like everythng gr8 post bdw.
Anyhu comethru my Fashion blog 2 xumtym and follow bk like you promised u will