Wednesday 4 April 2012

Model behaviour at the Mahogany Bridal Show



Wedding season is well and truly upon us. With the wonders of spring also comes the blossoming, blooming brides-to-be looking for the perfect elements to complete their special days. With a host of wedding shows and fairs popping up, there are more than enough sources of inspiration to keep me busy over the next few months. But there was one in particular that caught my eye that I had to go to. Last Sunday, I went to my first wedding fair, the Mahogany Bridal Show 2012. With my Mum, Aunty and Cousin (little fashionista in training!) in tow, we set off for a fun day out to gather ideas and meet the ‘best of the best’ African-Caribbean suppliers in London. I think that was the key for me. It was a show aimed at people that looked like me and understood my cultural background and the sorts of things a Caribbean/Nigerian wedding like mine would need. Billed as the largest African Caribbean bridal fashion show in Europe, I had really high expectations for the exhibitors, the fashion show....everything really. The show held at Holiday Inn Bloomsbury was buzzing with other brides with their family and friends, trying to work their way round the handful of exhibitors showcasing their skills and wares. But to be completely honest...

I was slightly disappointed; I thought it would be a lot bigger. I did meet a few good suppliers such as Dionne Gooding Shoes (who makes the most beautiful bespoke shoes from African fabrics – pictured), Safiya’s Cakes (my mum was impressed with their fruit cake, which is a pretty big achievement believe me – she’s a tough cookie!), Annona Catering (who had some tasty mini salt fish canapés on their stand, which definitely helped to win me over) and Tama Ra Event Designers (they did the actual stage decor for the fashion show). 
 
Image source: DionneGooding.com
The emphasis was mainly on the fashion show which was entertaining, but didn’t blow me away and leave with me lots of ideas for my bridesmaids and my own outfits for the day, except for one particular dress from The Wedding Boudoir. There were an array of wedding gowns on the catwalk but this one just stood out from the rest. Not just for me either, the whole audience kind of gasped and gave a round of applause for the dress which is a sure fire showstopper (see picture below - quality isn't great but hopefully you can see the detail)! It's a traditional shape but the detail on the bodice was beautiful and different. I wouldn’t have this as my dress per se because it’s not completely my style, but this dress had the wow factor, that little something extra that made you look twice. That’s the kind of dress I want. That was definitely the highlight of the show. 



I must mention the models from the show who were amazing! The girls and guys strutting their stuff made a lasting impression on me and seriously made me realise that I have a lot of work to do! Obviously, they are professional models but those girls looked picture perfect and had the walk, the pose, and the smile down to a tee! I need to work on my swagger and quick lol. I’m the kind of girl that hates cameras and photos but on the day it’s going to be all eyes on me! So I need to get over this hang-up ASAP.

Maybe I can find a bride training or bride composure class to prepare myself. Is there any such thing? I don’t want to end up with rubbish photos that I can’t bare to look at or show anyone else! Actually, a pre-wedding photo shoot might be good to help ease my jitters lol. So that’s another thing to add to my ever growing list of to-dos....

I’ve added some more pics of the show and the gorgeous models below. Enjoy..... x


 






No comments: