Wednesday 25 July 2012

Mama-hood so far…

Source: www.essence.com

Mama-hood (as opposed to motherhood) has been a whirlwind so far but so rewarding, so exciting and so scary at the same time. Time is literally flying by. My little princess is now 4 weeks old and has become 'The Boss' in our household. Everything now revolves around her! She cries when she wants something and my fiancé and I are at her beck and call lol. Feeding every 3 hours means I attempt to squeeze my to-dos around her. It’s funny, I was the girl who loved her sleep and had to have at least 7-8 hours sleep per night in order to function anywhere near 100%! That ideal was dramatically thrown out of the window from day one! Having to wake up every 2-3 hours means a good night’s sleep is a distant memory!

I can’t complain though. I've been lucky enough to have my fiancé to help out. He took a month off work so he's been doing a lot of the night shifts although I end up waking up too sometimes. I’m glad that he took an additional 2 weeks off on top of the ridiculously stingy paternity leave Daddy's get. Spending quality time with Little Miss and seeing them establish a bond together is so cute. It’s going to be strange when he goes back to work next week; I’ve got so used to having him around. Our routine so far has been based on both of us being here, so I need to figure out a new plan when he goes back. I’ll have to do most of the night shifts eeeeeeeek! Oh well, better get used to it.

Mama-hood has been amazing so far. In four weeks I’ve been completely captivated by her. I find myself just staring at her sometimes in amazement. Her big brown eyes staring back at me. It’s hard to believe that I made something so beautiful and perfect. I'm picking up on the little things she does that make her unique and special, like the way she sleeps with her arms above her head, the poses she does with her hands or the diva pout she makes in her sleep. It's so cute; it makes all the sleepless nights worth it. I just really hope that I can be a good mum and have everything she will ever need.

I’m so excited to watch her grow up, to see her personality develop, to see her first steps and first words. I can’t wait!!!

No comments: